Thursday, September 24, 2009

Red haze blankets Sydney

When I got the chance to visit Sydney back in June to bring an exhibition to the Art Gallery of NSW, I was so very happy to be shot of the filthy gray haze that was blanketing my hometown. Although it rained non-stop for about the first 3 days after we arrived Down Under, I didn't mind one bit. The air was clean and so sweet, my lungs felt like they were in heaven.

I was shocked, therefore, to learn that the tables have been turned. Just as the skies over the Klang Valley have cleared up, Sydney's skies have turned an awful - RED! The Boston reports that, "A pall of red dust blown in from the Outback clogged the skies over Sydney on Wednesday, diverting international flights, disrupting ferries and prompting a spike in emergency calls from people suffering breathing difficulties."

Is this armageddon-like event a natural occurence or another sign that the earth is in trouble due to global warming? I can't wait to hear how the experts will weigh in on this one. There's a good chance that I might get to return to Sydney in less than a month's time to bring the exhibition home, and I find that I actually 'want' to experience this red-sky phenomenon for myself, although I hope for the sake of Sydneysiders that this will soon pass. It can't be fun living that way... I live in PJ and work in KL after all, so I've experienced quite a few (forest-fire induced) hazes which were downright awful and depressing.

No comments:

Welcome 2019: Time to Grow

Happy New Year everyone! I'm so so excited for 2019 and everything that it'll bring. I'm starting the year with gratefulness for...