Sunday, November 3, 2013

Weekend project: Petai jeruk (pickled stinky bean) & gari (pickled ginger)

We went grocery shopping at 1 Utama yesterday, and my entire body still hurts from the experience, but I woke up this morning with my heart set on making... pickles! To be exact, petai (stinky bean) and gari (ginger) pickles.

Pickled petai & ginger
Here's the result! Find out how to make these after the jump!


Both pickles are really simple to make, but first, let's tackle the petai a.k.a. stinky bean. I just happen to love anything that smells or tastes strong. All my friends don't understand why I love petai so much. Sometimes it puzzles me too. Growing up in JB, you could say I'm a typical city girl, but I definitely have a taste for strong flavours, not sure how that developed. 

Petai (stinky bean)
Anyway, firstly, I split the petai and clean them. I do this because some of the beans will have a worm burrowed inside. Yes, ewww...

Jerup peti (Pickled stinky bean)
Then I boil the petai for about 5 minutes. Once done, I spoon them into a sterilised jar (I just rinse the jar in boiling water). After that, I cover the beans with hot water and about 1 tablespoon of salt. Today, I added chopped red chillies, but preferably, you should use cili padi (bird's eye chillies). Now, I have a jar of petai ready in the fridge, to serve as ulam with sambal belacan, or to make sambal tumis petai. Yum! This batch will also last a lot longer than they normally would, so I save money! 

Young ginger
Next, the gari. I grab myself some young ginger and slice them as thinly as possible. 

Gari (pickled ginger) in the making
Then, I soak the ginger in hot water, vinegar, sugar and some salt. How much vinegar and sugar you use depends on the amount of ginger you have, so adjust to taste. I put it all into a sterilised jar and let the ginger stand for a week in the fridge. Then it's ready to eat!

P1020379
By the way, I didn't wait long to put my petai to good use! Made sambal udang petai for dinner! Yum! Will share the recipe soon.

No comments:

Welcome 2019: Time to Grow

Happy New Year everyone! I'm so so excited for 2019 and everything that it'll bring. I'm starting the year with gratefulness for...